</item><item>Let the algorithm hit 'em
</item><item>To parse despite all chance to fail
</item><item>Putting the funk into functions since 2004
</item><item>Taking the routine out of subroutines since 2004
</item><item>Taking the artificial out of artificial intelligence since 2004
</item><item>Stealing the intelligence from artificial intelligence since 2004
</item><item>After three days without livecoding, life becomes meaningless.
</item><item>To know code, is to slow code
</item><item>Thinking out loud
</item><item>Please don't stop the algorithm
</item><item>Goto, goto, for x, dim
</item><item>Start: Beep, wait(5), Beep, wait(5), Beep, wait(2), goto start.
</item><item>Some thoughts have a certain sound
</item><item>Splicing tapes in Turing machines
</item><item>"... to experience through an unusual aesthetic event what hackers are missing in society and what society is missing in hacking." source
</item><item>The algorithm is gonna get you
</item><item>"The less something like this makes us think of very serious people doing amazingly hard things according to arcane procedures while sitting on standardised chairs
the better." source </item><item>For a long time computer scientists have been erasing time from programming, and we're now putting it back in.
For a long time computer musicians have been trying to hide the computation in their music, and we're celebrating it.</item>
Live coding is a new direction in electronic music and video: live coders expose and rewire the innards of software while it generates improvised music and/or visuals. All code manipulation is projected for your pleasure. TOPLAP has been collectively developing, exploring and promoting live coding since it was formed in a smoky bar in Hamburg in 2004.
New home page
We now have a new home page! Have a look, and contribute links. All feedback is very welcome.
Introductory videos and texts
The best introduction to live coding is to watch some.
Start live coding!
- First thing is to read our Draft Manifesto.
- See all the live coding environments available, most are free/open source or freeware, and several come with tutorials and helpful community waiting to answer your questions
- Once you're live coding, make yourself an official TOPLAP member simply by adding yourself to this list.
Or if you don't fancy programming, why not try Live Coding Without Computers
- Upcoming live coding festival in Karlsruhe from April 19th to April 21st 2013. Submissions are open until November 15th 2012.
- Follow the TOPLAP Log for the latest in live coding.
- See how the live coding community report project is working ot
Miscellaneous and older stuff
- TOPLAP history and pre-history
- ToplapBands - regularly performing live coding bands
- ToplapEvents - fallen into disuse, but of historical interest
- TOPLAP CDs - the shop is down, but copies of the TOPLAP CD still exist
- ToplapStreams - streamed livecoding sessions, haven't take off so far
- Live Coding Practice
- Hackpact - where livecoders + friends made something a day for a month