Live coding is a new direction in electronic music and video: live coders expose and rewire the innards of software while it generates improvised music and/or visuals. All code manipulation is projected for your pleasure. TOPLAP has been collectively developing, exploring and promoting live coding since it was formed in a smoky bar in Hamburg in 2004.
New home page
We now have a new home page! Have a look, and contribute links. All feedback is very welcome.
Introductory videos and texts
The best introduction to live coding is to watch some.
Start live coding!
- First thing is to read our Draft Manifesto.
- See all the live coding environments available, most are free/open source or freeware, and several come with tutorials and helpful community waiting to answer your questions
- Once you're live coding, make yourself an official TOPLAP member simply by adding yourself to this list.
Or if you don't fancy programming, why not try Live Coding Without Computers
- Upcoming live coding festival in Karlsruhe from April 19th to April 21st 2013. Submissions are open until November 15th 2012.
- Follow the TOPLAP Log for the latest in live coding.
- See how the live coding community report project is working ot
Miscellaneous and older stuff
- TOPLAP history and pre-history
- ToplapBands - regularly performing live coding bands
- ToplapEvents - fallen into disuse, but of historical interest
- TOPLAP CDs - the shop is down, but copies of the TOPLAP CD still exist
- ToplapStreams - streamed livecoding sessions, haven't take off so far
- Live Coding Practice
- Hackpact - where livecoders + friends made something a day for a month