Live coding is a new direction in electronic music and video: live coders expose and rewire the innards of software while it generates improvised music and/or visuals. All code manipulation is projected for your pleasure. TOPLAP has been collectively developing, exploring and promoting live coding since it was formed in a smoky bar in Hamburg in 2004.
New home page
We now have a new home page! Have a look, and contribute links. All feedback is very welcome.
Introductory videos and texts
The best introduction to live coding is to watch some - see our list of videos, articles and academic papers
Start live coding!
- First thing is to read our Draft Manifesto.
- See all the live coding environments available, most are free/open source or freeware, and several come with tutorials and helpful community waiting to answer your questions. (We also have this old list of systems here on the wiki, although that's mostly rather out of date)
- Once you're live coding, make yourself an official TOPLAP member simply by adding yourself to this list.
Or if you don't fancy programming, why not try Live Coding Without Computers
- Upcoming live coding festival in Karlsruhe from April 19th to April 21st 2013. Submissions are open until November 15th 2012.
- Follow the TOPLAP Log for the latest in live coding.
- See how the live coding community report project is working ot
Miscellaneous and older stuff
- TOPLAP history and pre-history
- ToplapBands - regularly performing live coding bands
- ToplapEvents - fallen into disuse, but of historical interest
- TOPLAP CDs - the shop is down, but copies of the TOPLAP CD still exist
- ToplapStreams - streamed livecoding sessions, haven't take off so far
- Live Coding Practice
- Hackpact - where livecoders + friends made something a day for a month