Videos, Articles and Papers
Jump to navigation Jump to search
In the process of being collected and sorted... See [this list https://github.com/toplap/awesome-livecoding], which is currently much more up-to-date.
- Show us your screens - Documentary
- Algorithms are Thoughts, Chainsaws are Tools is a thoughtful commentary by Stephen Ramsey on a screen cast by Andrew Sorensen.
- Programming, meet music is a classic BBC treatment of live coding.
- Many screencasts of live coders in action are available at our sister website http://livecoding.co.uk/
Online and in the media
- Real DJs Code Live, Wired 2006
- Slub: Making music with live computer code, Wired 2009
- McLean, A. (2004). Hacking perl in nightclubs. O'reilly; perl.com
Academic articles and papers
- Rohrhuber, J., Hall, T. and de Campo, A. (2011). Dialects, constraints, systems within systems. In Nick Collins, Scott Wilson, and David Cottle, editors, The SuperCollider Book. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Rohrhuber, J. and de Campo, A. (2011). Just in time programming. In Nick Collins, Scott Wilson, and David Cottle, editors, The SuperCollider Book. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- McLean, A., Griffiths, D., Collins, N., and Wiggins, G. (2010). Visualisation of Live Code. In Electronic Visualisation and the Arts London 2010.
- Sorensen, A. (2010). A distributed memory for networked livecoding performance. In Proceedings of International Computer Music Conference 2010.
- Sorensen, A. and Gardner, H. (2010). Programming with time: cyber-physical programming with impromptu. In Proceedings of ACM OOPLSA, OOPSLA '10, pages 822-834, New York, NY, USA. ACM.
- Rohrhuber, J. (2010). <<> and <>> : Two Simple Operators for Composing Processes at Runtime. . SuperCollider 2010 Conference Papers
- McLean, A. and Wiggins, G. (2010). Tidal - pattern language for the live coding of music. In Proceedings of the 7th Sound and Music Computing conference.
- McLean, A. and Wiggins, G. (2010). Live coding towards computational creativity. In proceedings of ICCC-X.
- McLean, A. and Wiggins, G. (2010). Bricolage programming in the creative arts. In 22nd Psychology of Programming Interest Group.
- Rohrhuber, J. and de Campo, A. (2009). Improvising Formalisation: Conversational Programming and Live Coding. In Gérard Assayag and Andrew Gerzso, editors, New Computational Paradigms for Computer Music. Delatour France / Ircam-Centre Pompidou.
- Rohrhuber, J. (2009). Das Rechtzeitige. Doppelte Extension und formales Experiment in: Zeitkritische Medienprozesse (A. Volmar, ed.), Berlin: Kadmos, 2008.
- Rohrhuber, J. (2008). Artificial, Natural, Historical. Acoustic Ambiguities in Documentary Film. in: Adams, Gibson, Arisona, Transdisciplinary Digital Art: Sound, Vision and the New Screen, Communications in Computer and Communication Science, Springer, Heidelberg.
- Rohrhuber, J., de Campo, A., Wieser, R., van Kampen, J.-K., Ho, E., and Hölzl, H. (2007) Purloined letters and distributed persons. In Music in the Global Village Conference.
- Collins, N. (2007). Live coding practice. In Proceedings of New Interfaces for Musical Expression 2007.
- Sorensen, A. and Brown, A. R. (2007). aa-cell in practice: An approach to musical live coding. In Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference 2007.
- Brown, A. (2006). Code Jamming". M/C Journal, 9(6).
- Blackwell, A. and Collins, N. (2005). The programming language as a musical instrument. In Proceedings of PPIG05. University of Sussex.
- Sorensen, A. (2005). Impromptu: An interactive programming environment for composition and performance. In Proceedings of the Australasian Computer Music Conference 2005, pages 149-153. (version of impromptu discussed is obsolete)
- Rohrhuber, J., de Campo, A., and Wieser, R. (2005). Algorithms today: Notes on language design for just in time programming. In Proceedings of the 2005 International Computer Music Conference.
- Ruthmann, S.A., Heines, J.M., Greher, G.R., Laidler, P., & Saulters, C. (2010). Teaching computational thinking through musical live coding in Scratch. 41st ACM SIGCSE Technical Symposium on CS Education. Milwaukee, WI, March 12, 2010.
- Wang, G. and Cook, P. R. (2004). On-the-fly programming: using code as an expressive musical instrument. In Proceedings of the 2004 conference on New interfaces for musical expression, pages 138-143. National University of Singapore.
- Geoff Cox, Alex McLean and Adrian Ward, "Coding Praxis: Reconsidering the Aesthetics of Generative Code," in Olga Goriunova and Alexei Shulgin, eds., Read_me: Software Art & Cultures, Aarhus: Digital Aesthetics Research Centre, 2004), 161-174. Peer-reviewed essay derived from conferences in Aarhus and Sorbonne, 2004.
- Ward, A., Rohrhuber, J., Olofsson, F., McLean, A., Griffiths, D., Collins, N., and Alexander, A. (2004). Live algorithm programming and a temporary organisation for its promotion. In Goriunova, O. and Shulgin, A., editors, read_me - Software Art and Cultures.
- Collins, N., McLean, A., Rohrhuber, J., and Ward, A. (2003). Live coding in laptop performance. Organised Sound, 8(03):321-330.
- some thoughts
- live coding of graphics
- Uncertainty and Waiting in Computer Music Networks
- Artificial Natural Historical : Ambiguities of Synthetic Sound in Documentary Film
- some theoretical papers on sound programming and time
- Code Jamming
- Fluxus workshop intro from llcf2007 (source)
- Gamepad programming from llcf2007 (source)
- Signifikantenstadl: live coding for silent movies
- Notation as a Tool of Thought (1979 Turing Award Lecture) by Kenneth E. Iverson, Communications of the ACM, Volume 23, Number 8, August 1980.
- Nick Collins' papers on live coding including 'Live Coding Practice'
- 'Slow Code Movement Manifesto' Hall, T. n.d.