[livecode] Re: O2

From: Neil C Smith <neil_at_neilcsmith.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 17:29:45 +0100

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 17:15, Alex McLean <alex_at_slab.org> wrote:
> Hmm, my understanding is:
> - If you're using UDP, you can listen on the same port that you're
> sending stuff out from, so the server can reply to that. That's how SC
> does it I believe.
> - If you're using TCP, you can just reply

I want (need) a full OSC address to respond to / identify a sender,
not to mention ideally a UID (well ID! ;-) ) to match calls and
useful for lots of cases (eg. UI binding).

> Why don't we all just use
> something more fully featured like zeromq, or whatever those high
> frequency traders are using.. (not a serious suggestion, I think we're
> stuck with OSC really..)

Actually, been seriously considering that (well jeromq), possibly
mixing with OSC as the message format. Mind you, lots of useful
things from HFT to make use of in the Java space.

Another suggestion someone made that they said wasn't serious, but I
happen to think has merit, is renaming OSC to be Open System Control.

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith