[livecode] Re: interactive essay on annotations / visualizations in live coding

From: Charlie Roberts <bigbadotis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 00:36:27 -0500

Thanks for thoughtful comments Ben! Agreed on all points, and fixing the
editing of code that is also being modified programmatically has been on my
todo list for… quite some time. I imagine following your second solution,
and disabling problematic displays of state during editing. I’d also like
to provide the option of editing either the original, user-entered data, or
the data in its current state after any programmatic transformations that
may have occurred. Which editing mode is employed could depend on something
simple like shift-clicking the data to begin editing, or a key command.

Andrew, I’ll mention that if a similar random transformation existed in
Gibber (or at least the version used in the essay), the values it generated
would be displayed in a comment next to the function call rather than
performing inline editing of the function arguments; this seems more
appropriate to the semantics (to me). But perhaps the more important point
you’re getting at is that this is all really messy, and you'll get no
arguments from me there. - Charlie

PS - I tried sending this a couple of hours ago but it didn't seem to make
it through; my apologies if you all receive a duplicate.