[livecode] Re: Vivid: Send a string (specifically a filesystem path) to a synth?

From: <amindfv_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 14:18:18 -0400

> El 7 jul 2018, a las 13:56, Jeffrey Brown <jeffbrown.the_at_gmail.com> escribió:
>
> Awesome! I hadn't realized you could create and free synths from Vivid. That'll be really helpful -- it means I won't have to keep a giant bank of synths that mostly aren't doing anything.

Yep! You shouldn't need sclang for anything - Vivid can do anything it can.

> But I'm getting this error:
>
> • Variable not in scope: b2i :: BufferId -> I "buf"
> • Perhaps you meant ‘b2_’ (imported from Vivid)

Are you running an old version of Vivid? Any version 0.3.* should have it.

> Also, suppose I really wanted to pass a string to SC, for instance to switch some oscillator from a square wave to a sine wave. Is it possible?

Unfortunately/fortunately the SC server doesn't let you change a signal graph at runtime like this.

Your best bet, if you wanted to do a switch, would be to have both the square wave and the saw wave in the graph, and change what you multiply

Something like:

sd (0 :: I "switch") $ do
   s0 <- lfPulse (freq_ 440)
   s1 <- lfSaw (freq_ 440)
   s <- (V::V "switch") ~* s0
        ~+ (1 ~- (V::V "switch")) ~* s1

Then if you set "switch" to 0 you get all saw wave, and to 1 and you get all square wave. (And, at 0.5 an even mix of each)

You _can_ send strings to the sc server, but I don't know of any time you need to in Vivid. If you need to for some reason there's always the vivid-osc package (which vivid uses)

Tom