Re: [livecode] Visual culture doctoral studentships opportunity

From: Justin Northrop <justinorthrop_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 17:32:20 -0400

Would they be interested in funding my project? I'm currently a computer
science PhD student at Georgia Tech.

I'm building a livecoding enabled visual language currently called
TanScript (tangible script).

In TanScript, a 'head' walks along a program and executes each instruction
that it touches. A program is a directed graph of instructions, which the
programmer can drag around in order to make them readable and beautiful.

Instructions can play music.

Musical programs themselves are a form of score. The score is a program
that executes as a head walks along it.

One can build interactive soundscapes by leaving some choices to the
listener. If the listener wants, she can modify the choices that are made
at some locations in an interactive soundscape, similarly to how junctions
on a railroad track can be toggled left and right at any time during the
track's operation.

I'm currently most focused on applying TanScript to GUI design and language
editing and navigation. The language editing and navigation is mainly
focused on editing generalizations of text (where text is a list of rows of
symbols), and on editing TanScript programs (including musical ones).

I'm also working under the constraint that everything in the TanScript IDE
should be usable without a monitor (or by a blind person). Even non-musical
programs can be sonified, so that it is possible to efficiently browse them
without the aid of vision.

More info can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mneumonese/comments/3mbgmi/tanscript_as_a_musical_language/

- Justin