Re: [livecode] quote "trade-off" expressivity

From: Alan Blackwell <afb21_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 08:47:45 +0000

It's possible that you came across some of the literature in Cognitive Dimensions of Notations, which is concerned with the trade-offs in design of novel notational systems.

The phrase you remember does not directly correspond to any of the commonly observed trade-offs in the CDs framework, but there certainly are a number of well-understood trade-offs related to changes in abstraction demand.

There are many introductions to the CDs framework, some of which are specifically oriented toward music applications, but the following is a general-purpose textbook chapter:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~afb21/publications/BlackwellGreen-CDsChapter.pdf

Alan

> On 12 Dec 2014, at 15:30, k.vasilakos <kv.syntaxerror_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi some time ago I am almost sure I remember reading in a paper something about "trade-off expressivity in due of abstraction of code". But I cannot recall where I found that, is there anyone that can provide the source of this or knows where I can find it.
>
> Thanks
> K.
> --
>
> Read the whole topic here: livecode:
> http://lurk.org/r/topic/No9Uc0kedVbagaRMaVFRz

Alan Blackwell
Reader in Interdisciplinary Design, University of Cambridge
Further details from www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~afb21/
--
Read the whole topic here: livecode:
http://lurk.org/r/topic/7Jz8grgC5rhzsspPM9DRqo