[livecode] First live coding performance? Tom DeFanti, 1976, with video / paper

From: Charlie Roberts <bigbadotis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 14:20:11 -0800

Hi y'all,

Maybe info about Tom DeFanti was posted to the list before my time, but
just in case...

It seems like most papers on live coding reference The Hub or Ron Kuivila
when discussing the potential candidates for "first" live coding
performances. I was showing Gibber to Dan Sandin yesterday, and he casually
mentioned that he and Tom DeFanti had been doing performances back in the
70s that involved live coding.

And then he sent me a video that is pretty damn amazing... interactive
programming, with code projected to video, 1976 (interactive programming
starts at ~3:50) :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19873080/poopForNCC3_MBR.mp4

Here's an example performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw9kY85DkfE

And here's a paper on the language used (RT/1):

http://excelsior.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~carlson/history/PDFs/cgh-defanti.pdf

- Charlie

--
Read the whole topic here: livecode: