[livecode] Livecoders near Manchester, UK wanted: Feb 24 - Mar 7, 2014

From: Jonas Hummel <news_at_jonashummel.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 00:07:51 +0000

*Dear Livecoders, *

I thought I would just write my invitation to people on this list as
well. Maybe there are some people reading this around Manchester,
Liverpool, Leeds, etc who would be able to visit me in Crewe for one of
the days!

As part of my Practice-as-Research PhD in music I will be doing a two
week residency in the Open Space Area of Manchester Metropolitan
Universitie's Cheshire Campus <http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/travel/crewe/>.
During my time there I am planning to hold// round table discussions/,
/do /performative interventions /and/'translational conversations'/ --
all under the topic of live coding.
So if anyone out there is interested in jamming together, please come by
and join forces. I don't have any budget unfortunately, but we can talk
about travel refunds.
Find out more about my proposed programme and the Axis Arts Centre here!
<http://www.axisarts.mmu.ac.uk/?ai1ec_event=jonas-hummel-choices-bundlestrajectories-%E2%80%93-conversations-with-machines&instance_id=182>

------------------

*The DATES*
I will be around the space :
/-> any weekday between 11am and 5 or 6pm
-> from 24th of February until 7th of March. /
If you intend to come by and talk or perform something with me, (a
length of anywhere between 10 and 45 minutes is ideal), let me know in
advance, if possible.

These are my contact details:
-> 07933 183296
-> mail_at_jonashummel.de

These are some overarching themes of my PhD
/* performing language, semiotics, symbolism, embodied cognition
* techno-mediated performance, the human-machine, body-extensions
* live coding, improvisation, real-time composition, impromptu, poetry
slam, jamming
* indeterminacy, control, translation, agency, action/reaction, cause/effect
* network, resilience, chaos, complexity, cooperation/

I am looking forward to new encounters and enjoyable performances.

Best regards,

Jonas Hummel

// ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

/This is the information from the Axis Arts Brochure:
/
*CHOICES, BUNDLES, TRAJECTORIES
-- conversations with machines
*
Livecoding as an audiovisual performance practice has
become popular not only in the arts scene but has also been
practiced in the club and electronic dance music culture.
Due to the nature of the medium, written language, this act
of computer programming deals with issues of liveness,
immediacy and interface as well as signs, symbols and their
interpretation. MMU PhD student Jonas Hummel explores
this approach to making live music with computers through
various interfaces and performance setups. During his Open
Space residency, he invites several guests from different arts
disciplines to start poetry slam style conversations with
bundles of signs & symbols -- written letters, spoken words
or body gestures.

Whatever choices they take in their 'jam sessions', they will
test their mutual understanding. The trajectories of these
conversations will resonate the specific spaces of the Axis
Arts Centre.