[livecode] Looking for live-coding musicians in Bristol for the Rouages research project

From: Florent Berthaut <florent_at_hitmuri.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 12:39:49 +0000

Hi all,

My name is Florent Berthaut, I am a research assistant at the University
of Bristol just starting a project called Rouages and I am looking for
live electronic musicians based in Bristol for workshops and possibly
performances.

The goal of the project is to improve the experience of the audience in an
electronic music performance, giving them a better understanding of
exactly what
electronic musicians do when they play.
We are developing an augmented reality system that extends musicians'
gestures
using 3D virtual extensions of their controllers, represents all
sounds/loops/effects using 3D shapes, and provides visual connections
between
controllers and sound modules.

Here is a screenshot of the first prototype, and a video :
https://vimeo.com/63147015

Rouages

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that live-coders have the same
problems as other electronic musicians. The small modifications (even if
they are shown with a projection) you make to the code and the
activation/evaluation of lines of code (the equivalent of knobs tweaking
or keys/pads pressing), the variety and complexity of the
structures/functions that you manipulate, and the connections between
simple lines of code and complex musical results might as well prevent
spectators from enjoying performances in the same manner they enjoy
pianists performances for example.
I'd be interested to have your thoughts on that. Maybe you don't see it
as a problem (some musicians I have talked too for the project don't)
but there might also be better ways of representing structures/functions
and manipulations for the audience.

We already have musicians with various playing styles / setups
(live-looping, loop-based (e.g. ableton live), live sample playing (e.g.
mpc style), djiing ) and we would be interested in working with a
live-coder as well, since all these configurations seem to provide
different levels of liveness / musical control.

The project is composed of the following steps:
-Workshops to adapt Rouages to each instrument (software/hardware/mappings).
-Shooting videos of participants performing for an experiment
-Public performance with all participants

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Florent

--