[livecode] live coding for cash

From: Nick Collins <clicksonnil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:41:34 +0000

I've just received a spam email that amused me, below.

But it does bring up a potentially* interesting topic around monetisation and live coding. Anathema to much of the maker community/open source side perhaps.

I didn't bother to respond to the email btw; obviously TOPLAPapp is just for improvisational enjoyment and you cannot 'win' competitively with it.

Hmmm, workshop and gig fees, or cloud based live code language usage subscriptions...

Live hacking of financial networks with associated banker sonification...

best,
Nick

* maybe not, but Coda Cola are sponsoring me to bring this up

Subject:
I bet $1.00 I can beat you in TOPLAPapp

Body: (anonymised to remove company name and overblown claims so as not to propagate their evil):

Hi Nicholas Collins Team,

ANON is ... [a] ... cash tournament SDK for mobile games. We are ... now selecting partners for our pending iOS launch. I have been playing TOPLAPapp and think cash tournaments would be a fun addition that improves the game's retention and monetization.

Here's a bit of background on us:

- Over 1 Tournaments in 10 weeks and counting
- We had over 1 ANON downloads in our first month alone
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Are you available later this week or early next for a 15-minute intro call to tell you more about ANON and the benefits of being a launch partner on iOS?

Looking forward to talking,

ANthONy