Re: [livecode] when is it live coding, when not?

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 06:51:22 +0100

On 14 August 2013 00:51, Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com> wrote:
> Is there an established etymology for "live coding"? I suspect that it has some British origin related to "live art"[1]. I couldn't tell you what the "live" in "live art" means but I suspect it's related to *performance*, not to *liveness*[2], i.e. "live art" is closely allied with performance art.

It comes from liveness, not just performance. As I remember, the first
meeting in Hamburg was as more to do with composing for film and large
group improvisation than performing in front of an audience.

Collaboration between live coding and live art only came in the last
couple of years. Also live art is not necessarily to do with
performance either.

alex