Re: [livecode] when is it live coding, when not?

From: Andrew Brown <algorithmicmusic_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:56:53 +1000

My 2c's

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM, David Barbour <dmbarbour_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Georg Essl <gessl_at_umich.edu> wrote:
>

>> Of course a "live" programming environment is good for live performance
>> but that does not mean that live performance is required to use that
>> liveness.
>>

> Hmm, I believe that the priorities are very different between 'live coding
> performance' and 'live programming'. The technologies will also tend to
> diverge as a consequence.

 I'm sure it is true, as Georg states, that live programming environments
and practices may have general utility - as Sorensen advocates. There seems
to (should) be an assumption that 'live coding' is performative and that
'coding' is live (i.e., an activity), so a coding or programming
distinction seems unnecessary as does, I hope, the need to add
'performance' to the end of 'live coding' in order to be understood.