Re: [livecode] when is it live coding, when not?

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 03:17:17 +0200

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 04:05:51PM +0200, alln4tural-list_at_gmx.net wrote:

> would that still be live coding?

I seem to remember that last time this topic was covered we ended up
with a focus on "public reasoning".

So; we could imagine a typed performance in SC that were so obfuscated
and pre-prepared that it'd disqualify on both counts. We could also
imagine somebody scripting a mp3 player (not sure whether iTunes in
particular permits for that) based on some sort of input from the
audience to somehow express something about track selection in DJ-sets
based on audience feedback that we might count. I expect a disaster in
that last case as that task is exceptionally hard even for people, and
so I suspect algorithms written on the spot will fail, but that need
not be a issue here.

To me the term "livecoding" is not founded on how fluently the
performances goes any more than playing the violin badly turns it into
a guitar.

Admittedly that perspective has a lot of very vague areas and
potentially leaves lot up to the performer and audience; I think that
need not be a bad thing at all.

Yours,
Kas.