Re: [livecode] when is it live coding, when not?

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 20:05:08 +0100

Yes I'm not into indeterminism either, there's generally something
more interesting to do than draw on pseudo-random numbers.

I think of live coding as improvisation. I make sure things are live
by writing some new functions in advance of a live coding performance,
to create new space to explore. Otherwise it can just feel like going
through pre-practised 'licks'.

>From the original post:
> i myself use SC. i've spent a lot of time, though never near enough, poking around
> the docs and listserv and built a collection of tools that i can invoke with very
> abbreviated code. over time i've collected a little library of such tools and
> accompanying code snippets, and when i sit down to make noise, i'm mostly sitting
> in front of a page full of these snippets, "just" deciding which of them to execute
> when, and the only code i write in situ, if any, is in the form of small routines, made
> with copy and paste, that endlessly loop over a couple of these code snippets.
> is that live coding?

I wouldn't call it live coding. If you're not changing the code, by
combining and abstracting things, then it's not programming.

alex

--
http://yaxu.org/