Re: [livecode] a paper on live programming

From: Dan S <danstowell+toplap_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:09:05 +0100

2013/4/9 Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>:
> On 9/04/2013 6:31 PM, alex wrote:
>>
>> I think we do need to inject time back into this discussion, as something
>> relevant to lived experience
>

> "time-separable programming" vs "non-time-separable programming" perhaps?
>

> What are the options for injecting time back in? Seems like that got thrown
> out when Alonzo showed up. And monads just treat it like a bag on the side.
>

> Can we have time without a clock?
>
> http://www.vs.inf.ethz.ch/publ/papers/logtime.pdf

Reminds me of the transactional interpretation of quantum mechanics
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_interpretation> which
kinda paints reality as a graph of interactions, in a way that mirrors
some ideas about distributed systems. Under that interpretation, it's
possible to consider time as emerging from the network (if you want
it). I tend to try and think of time this way, rather than as linear.
Which one is "lived experience"? Neither?

Dan