Re: [livecode] Extempore

From: <andrew_at_moso.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:12:32 +1000 (EST)

Thanks for the reminder, I read about GOAL some years back but completely forgot about it. My feeling at the time was that it was abandon ware. It would be nice to think that it was still in use somewhere. -----Original Message----- From: "David Griffiths" <dave_at_pawfal.org> Sent: Tuesday, 29 January, 2013 1:17am To: livecode_at_toplap.org Cc: andrew_at_moso.com.au Subject: Re: [livecode] Extempore Hi Andrew, On 28/01/13 11:27, andrew_at_moso.com.au wrote: > Extempore includes a new programming language called xtlang, which > uses an s-expression syntax common to Lisp, and more particularly to > Scheme. xtlang also borrows many Lisp like semantics including first > class closures, tail recursion and macros. However, xtlang also > borrows heavily from systems languages like 'C' including static > typing, low-level type expressivity, direct pointer manipulation and > explicit memory managment (i.e. no GC). xtlang then extends these 'C' > semantics with type-inferencing, ad-hoc polymorphism, reified > generics, and zone/region based memory management. Sounds great - this hotswapping/low level approach reminds me of Naughty Dog's system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Oriented_Assembly_Lisp (IIRC despite what is says there, they have gone back to this system in recent years for PS3) cheerio, dave