Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:56:40 +1100

On 21/01/2013 11:44 AM, David Barbour wrote:
> A history of input has nice, robust properties for live programming. In
> traditional code, we maintain only state that we need. In live
> programming, the state that we need can change as we modify code. That
> becomes problematic when we need state that we were not maintaining. A
> language that makes it convenient to model most state in terms of cached
> computations on history may better serve live programmers.

This seems somewhat analogous to (causal) FIR and IIR filters in digital
signal processing.

- FIR filters depend on only past inputs.

- IIR filters store state (whether past outputs or some other state
variables). Depending on the way you store the (integrated) state, it
can be difficult to suppress artifacts due to some kind of
disconcordance between the stored state and the new algorithm
(coefficients). This seems analogous to your "need state that we were
not maintaining".

Some topologies are more robust to continuous modulation than others.

I suppose it depends on the setting exactly what constitutes an
acceptable transient response to a live program update.

Ross.