Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:08:35 +1100

On 21/01/2013 9:26 AM, Charles CĂ©leste Hutchins wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 6:51 AM, James McCartney <asynth_at_gmail.com
> <mailto:asynth_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Jan 13, 2013, at 4:11 AM, Ross Bencina
> <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com <mailto:rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>> wrote:
>

> >> PD is a Turing complete language anyway..
> >
> > Indeed. However David gave the example of Pd being used without
> conditional logic.
>
> Which is nearly impossible. Almost every Max/Pd object has implicit
> conditionals : IF something comes in a right inlet, it is stored. IF
> something comes in the left inlet, it triggers a calculation.
>

> Gates in synthdefs (or in synthesisers) are also conditionals, in that
> sense.

In fact James' example illuminates that the max/msp model implies more
than conditionals: that the non-left inputs are stateful. They act as
memories/storage, something I'd forgotten from working with synchronous
dataflow for so long.

Perhaps some other distinctions are also helpful:

- feed-forward networks
- feedback networks
- networks with access to input history
- networks with input and output history (state)
- networks passing discrete messages (or numbers)
- networks of (or modelling) continuous signals

or maybe not.

Ross.