Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: <andrew_at_moso.com.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:27:03 +1000 (EST)

To be fair David, the PL community isn't exactly huge. If you then consider sub-cultures of the PL community then things get very small. I would be surprised if the 'active' FRP (you raised an interest here) community really was much larger than the Livecoding (audiovisual performance) community at present. I have tried to write a little bit about audiovisual livecoding in a CS context in the past ("Programming with Time" OOPSLA 2010) and have more on the way. In general though I would remind everyone that names are often not things that we choose but things that we are given. Precedence rules. If you do your research you will find these references coming up all over the place in the PL/CS literature over many years. 'Live Programming' for example is definitely beginning to take on a 'meaning' in the CS literature that is quite different from 'interactive programming' in a Lisp REPL sense (where as far as I've gone back the term originates). 'Live Programming' is more specifically interested in direct manipulation - read up on SubText if you're interested to know more. At the same time I would also suggest to David (sorry David I don't know your background enough to know if I'm telling you to suck eggs) that he do a thorough review of PL literature within the computer music community. It irritates me no end that the broader CS community is ignorant of very significant work done in PL within Computer Music - MOXIE, MAX and SuperCollider (possibly also ChucK) are all historically relevant to general PL and should be better known in CS. To be fair it's our own fault to a degree for being to insular. And finally, the question I think we all want to know is, ROSS DO YOU EVER SLEEP?? Cheers, Andrew. -----Original Message----- From: "David Barbour" <dmbarbour_at_gmail.com> Sent: Monday, 14 January, 2013 6:38am To: livecode_at_toplap.org Subject: Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM, alex <alex_at_lurk.org> wrote: > I'm genuinely trying to understand what you are trying to get at here. > Are you upset about something? > Just annoyed by such obviously bad logic. (i.e. "I'm not little because I'm embedded in something big." [sarcasm] Right. I'm not little because I spend time on the Internet, too. [/sarcasm]) Regards, Dave > > On Jan 13, 2013 6:07 PM, "David Barbour" <dmbarbour_at_gmail.com> wrote: > >> >> On Jan 13, 2013 9:53 AM, "Ross Bencina" <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com> >> wrote: >> > >> > I wouldn't call TOPLAP and [livecode] little. They are embedded in a >> global network >> >> How much influence do you believe TOPLAP has on that network? >> > -- bringing s-words to a pen fight