Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:49:53 +1100

On 14/01/2013 5:46 AM, David Barbour wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2013 10:04 AM, "Ross Bencina" <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com
> <mailto:rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>> wrote:
>> all general purpose programming languages and modern machine
> instruction sets are Turing complete, apart from having finite
> memory.
>
> An interesting and common point in PL design involves supporting
> universal computation only in the extent - I.e. where the program
> interacts with time or IO. Every subprogram in such a language might
> be guaranteed to complete, perhaps even in real time or bounded
> time.
>
> I believe such languages are superior for live programming, even
> though the programmer never uses TC expressions.

Can you elaborate on this? This sounds interesting but I'm not sure I
follow what you're asserting.

Do you mean that you believe that

a mix of:
  (1) TC extents for time and IO, plus
  (2) non-TC expressions everyewhere else

is superior for live programming.

superior compared to what? TC expressions everywhere? or non-TC everywhere?

in either case can you elaborate on your reasoning?

and explain your crtiteria for "superior"

In an artistic live coding context the reason I am pushing for TC
languages is purely moral (ok, maybe aesthetic too). But then I have
never programmed in a really expressive non-TC language, only a bunch of
brain-dead DSLs.

Ross.