Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: David Barbour <dmbarbour_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:39:18 -0800

I would ask a question in return: who should be a programmer? Are user
interfaces not, in many formal senses, live programming in a problem/domain
specific languages?

My interest in live programming has never been about performance (which
seems the primary interest of this list). Rather, to me it is about
understanding PL as a form of HCI. There is undeniably a gap in practice
between PL and HCI, but I think it is not essential. It's more like a
canyon... a consequence of where we chose to settle.

There are regions in the design space where the distinction between PL and
HCI is weak, I.e. where intuitions, patterns, principles, extension and
composition learned in one are directly applicable to the other.

The ultimate audience for live programming should be everyone.