Re: [livecode] family tree of languages for live coding

From: David Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:17:34 +0000

On 11/01/13 13:09, David Griffiths wrote:
> On 11/01/13 12:46, Konstantinos Vasilakos wrote:
>> I believe that live coding emerges from the tradition of live electronics
>> and analogue synths, basically the idea of changing things on the fly and
>> tweak those until you make something interesting (with total Improvisation
>> at fore).
>
> Livecoding is not just music remember, but it also emerges from an
> increase in flexibility of graphics pipelines and dedicated hardware.
> Not just fluxus, but in recent shader livecoding environments and
> parallel work in the demoscene.

More specifically about fluxus, the scene specification language it uses
is derived partly from OpenGL but owes more to being a "lispification"
of RIB:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RenderMan_Interface_Specification
http://renderman.pixar.com/products/rispec/index.htm

"RISpec is a similar concept to PostScript but for describing 3D scenes
rather than 2D page layouts."

Which looks like this:

RiWorldBegin ();
        RiColor (...);