Re: [livecode] live 2013

From: thor <th.list_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 11:03:08 +0000

That's an interesting mail Kassen.

You are right in your comment about performance. Of course one can live
code without an audience. The word is too narrow in that understanding.
It should perhaps be swapped out for "play" (you're playing at home, and
playing for an audience)? Or we might say that we can perform without
an audience? (as in "performing a task").

If we want to maintain a distinction here (something I'm not convinced
is necessary), it probably would be with regards to the end goals being
different. Both practices are obviously creative, but is there a different
understanding of what is a successful outcome?

I still don't get the distinction here "In contrast to the reflective persistent
nature of live programming precursors like LISP and Smalltalk, live coding
emphasizes the ephemeral, reactive nature of live performance".

This distinction compares languages with a practice. And those languages
are used in live coding. What is the practice of live programming then?
Does anyone have a good example of this persistence and reflection?

thor