Re: [livecode] live 2013

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 13:30:54 +0000

On 8 January 2013 13:18, thor <th.list_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> <quote>
> Meanwhile, under the radar of the software engineering community at-large, a nascent community has formed around the related idea of “live coding”—live audiovisual performances which use computers and algorithms as instruments. In contrast to the reflective, persistent nature of live programming precursors like LISP and Smalltalk, live coding emphasizes the ephemeral, reactive nature of live performance.
> </quote>

This was immediately added by them in response to my concerns by the way.

> I stumbled when I read the last sentence, as many of the live coding environments I know
> are versions of LISP and Smalltalk (Impromptu, Fluxus, Extempore, SuperCollider, etc.).
> And are these live coding environments not reflective and persistent?

They are, yes..

> But even if the terms "reflective" and "persistent" are said to be contrary to live coding
> practice, which I consider a mistake in phrasing it, perhaps there is a sense in which
> it would be good to make this distinction between live programming and live coding?
>
> Alex you write: "In general I think it would be better if they lost the live coding /
> live programming distinction", but it seems that they are framing that distinction
> in the context of live performance. That might well be an interesting distinction
> and one that could perhaps benefit the attempt to define what live coding is.

Yes this could be useful, but it generalises beyond particular
communities of practice I think.

For example we could talk about live coding in live performance
situations like webcasts (e.g. by Notch), katas, computing education
lectures as well as music, and then talk about live programming in
offline situations such as application development, interactive
design, video animation and music composition.. Where live coding is
a special case of live programming.

I think in general we have used the older phrase "interactive
programming" for the general case, and have coined "live coding" and
"live programming" for the "with-spectators" case.

Best wishes,

http://yaxu.org/