Re: [livecode] online toy live coding environment

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 14:02:09 +0200

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 01:41:36AM +0100, Davide Della Casa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first email to the list.

Welcome!

> The attempt is to make something simple and accessible with lots of eye candy.
> (Which, not to banalise, but is the type of program/programming that I enjoy
> trying around myself the most). A cute fluffy toy to bounce around. A quick
> inspection will reveal lots of regex work that is blatantly hit and miss.

I love it. No need to appologise for bright and simple shapes, there
are more than enough drab brown space-marines in drab grey corridors
strolling from preset point to preset point already.

> Again, please bear in mind that the intro page and the environment itself are
> meant for complete novices, so please bear with the "pop" approach.

That works well. The less something like this makes us think of very
serious people doing amazingly hard things according to arcane
procedures while sitting on standardised chairs the better.

> Other than that, please let me know what you think and suggestions!

It's great. I only played with it for a brief time because I have to
write some Fluxus before my deadline. It works well and quite
smoothly. I did find myself longing for a sin and cos and when those
didn't work for a list of available stuff.
Are functions like a sine expected to be too complicated for the
intended audience (I certainly didn't enjoy classes on those, back
then!)? Maybe it'd make sense to have the indicator that some term is
unknown also offer a list of what is known?

Yours,
Kas.