Re: [livecode] help - "future directions in live coding"

From: Andrew Sorensen <andrew_at_moso.com.au>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:10:20 +1000

Yes, I think flow is the primary problem. Both my flow (in a
Csíkszentmihályi sense) and the musics flow. This is probably the main
reason that I don't use MIDI controllers much any more and also why I'm
not super keen on GUI components in my code (sliders, dials and alike) -
although I'm all for GUI overlays (http://www.vimeo.com/25699729). The
trouble I've found with manual gesture controls (as opposed to
computational gesture), is that they're great when you're manipulating
them but then you stop ...

For example, you're sweeping a filter cutoff with a MIDI controller -
which works great of course - accept that you have to stop adjusting the
MIDI controller to go back to more typing. This back-and-forthing
between the controller and the computer keyboard just never worked well
for me. Of course, you could press a button and record a "gestural
loop" but this is a somewhat cyclical argument. Instead I've tried to
focus on abstracting out the gesture control just as much as the "note"
control. I very rarely type out a melody either, it's almost always
generative. If I do type something out in long hand it will usually be
a 3 or 4 note cell - which is easy to type and easy to grow into larger
structures.

I generally play solo these days though, and I imagine that if you're
working with other performers a lot of these issues (primarily
continuity) would be less of a concern.