[livecode] mark fell & joe gilmore

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:02:47 +0100

Nice podcast on algorithmic music:
 http://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia?id_capsula=830

Particularly relevant is what Mark Fell has to say on creative
feedback and simplicty.

Not starting with a plan is built in to the concept of live coding,
but the simplicity issue is perhaps more interesting for live coders.
Playing with simple algorithms is kind of implicit in live coding
performance, because there is not much time to do anything else, but
by projecting your screen you're kind of setting up the expectation of
spectacle, and impressive complexity.

Maybe we should more overtly embrace simplicity in live coding. Maybe
we should aim to write programs of a line or two, or maybe just three
or four words.

I've been having problems with the "Obscurantism is dangerous. Show us
your screens." manifesto point lately, as programs are quite obscure
in general. Maybe an alternative to trying to make visual programming
languages is to just to write shorter programs... This may be a
minor/obvious point to make, I guess trying to make terser, more
'declarative' languages has been the order of the day for some time,
e.g. chuck, ixilang and also the shift towards lisps...

Anyway, worth a listen I think.

http://yaxu.org/