Re: [livecode] live coding

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:55:05 +0000

On 17 February 2011 11:27, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder whether it's not a attempt at defence, instead of a attack at us.
> I think you could say that a lot of institutions like universities and
> conservatories get (some of) their authority from the idea that coding for
> music is hard and that you can only learn to do it through them.

Yes difficult and also expensive - you need a lot of heavy speakers,
equipment with walnut panelling, and software license dongles.

> In fact
> some people allegedly believe that the only "real" electronic/computer music
> is made at such institutions and that only people affiliated with them can
> properly appreciate it.

Yes this is difficult music and it needs real training to appreciate
what goes into protools.

> As a somewhat related note; just days ago I heard a representative of
> a academic institution lament how hard it is to "get electronic music to the
> people"... and that's in NL where rave was the single most popular musical
> genre on radio and TV about 2 decades ago. These things leave me baffled.
> Fsck research, let's dance ;¬).

I think I said elsewhere that a lot of electroacoustic music is
indistinguishable from the lead-ins of drum and bass records, so often
leaves me feeling rather unfulfilled. I find this kind of music very
hard to access, because not only is computational pattern manipulation
not the focus, but neither is the body. Of course there is some great
electroacoustic music, but I don't think an acousmatic ideal, of pure
perception of sound somehow divorced from the body helps. I think
electronic dance music is so popular because it hits the brain with
discrete patterns which are then understood through movements of the
body by dancing, making it a total experience.

Stockhausen totally agrees with Kassen:

"I would recommend that every student of music go dancing at least
once a week. And dance. Please, really dance: three of four hours a
week."
Karlheinz Stockhausen, 1989

http://yaxu.org/