Re: [livecode] live coding submissions at icmc - mpeg-4 only

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:14:41 +0000

On 18 January 2011 14:50, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> However; I still feel that sharing such opinions severely harms the
> impression of a impartial review and thus the credibility of the
> organisation.

I raised the first point, Pierre insisted that as chair the discussion
would be separate from peer review. I'm not so sure about that, peer
reviews are double blind in theory, but as I understand it, they
shouldn't decide whether things are accepted, they just contribute
expertise to the committee who then decide. Perhaps Pierre won't be
on that committee.

At a workshop I helped Dave with, we got a dozen or so people turning
up each with different PCs and Macs. I think it took about 10 minutes
to get them all running with Linux finely tuned for solid, low latency
audio, and a full suite of linux audio languages and apps, that they
could take home with them. I'd like to see something similar with
proprietary Mac OS or Windows software. It would costs hundreds if
not thousands of euros each, and I'm guessing it would take much
longer than 10 minutes to get it all on there, with much cursing at
license keys, dongles and the like.

http://yaxu.org/