Re: [livecode] [ANN] LuaAV new year's release!

From: Graham Wakefield <wakefield_at_mat.ucsb.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:44:47 -0800

Hi,

Of course, I'm biased, but I do think that Lua is a very stable, versatile and extensible language, and I couldn't recommend it more highly. It's very easy to learn (a week with the Programming in Lua book is usually enough, and you can get the basics in a day) but also nicely scales up to higher-order functional programming (since learning Lua, I was able to grok scheme in a way I never had before...), while still very easy to extend through C.

We've tried to keep LuaAV versatile too, keeping the interfaces to our own LuaAV modules pretty low-level and modular, following the style of Lua itself, so sometimes it might seem there's more legwork to getting something started, but the benefit is a more open-ended system that we've been able to use for live-coding, long-term installations, CAVE-like environments etc.

Not sure if I've answered your questions...