Re: [livecode] Fwd: IEEE1588 patent encumbered -- project needs different leader

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:00:51 +0000

2010/1/22 Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>:
> Just because (ports of) parts of ChucK were sold as a closed program on
> proprietary hardware and haven't -so far- been opened doesn't mean I lose
> any of those rights.

Well if a free software ecosystem gives maintainers the responsibility
to accept patches, without fragmenting the development effort, then it
seems to me that with GPLd ChucK you don't have that right. If you
take the FSF definition of free (a big if, admittedly), partially
encoded in the GPLv3 (rather than the definition behind e.g. the BSD
license) , then I don't think you can call ChucK a free software
ecosystem if it also engages with the iphone.

On the subject of fork vs spork -- I think supercollider allows
similar sample accurate concurrency but I don't know of any others.
Did I already link to this paper?
  http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/3332

Cheerio,

http://yaxu.org/