Re: [livecode] Fwd: IEEE1588 patent encumbered -- project needs different leader

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:02:51 +0100

Alex;

The code is GPLd but the original authors have agreed to also license
> it to apple under different terms. The license doesn't restrict the
> original authors, it's their copyright. If someone gives you a patch
> to your code under the GPL you can't relicense that though. So RJ are
> giving code to the community but are not accepting changes back,
> unless it comes with a copyright transfer too. I guess ChucK is in
> the same boat (IANAL).

It might be slightly different. PD is older than ChucK and there actually
aren't all that many patches to ChucK by third parties; most of the ChucK
DEV's are in Smule as well. Tom Lieber and me were just talking the other
day about how to get patches in. Ironically I have been campaigning for
easier patches to ChucK for years now. Not specifically for me (my C++
skills are very modest indeed) but I did volunteer to test patches made by
others.

This is a annoying because man-hours are limited and we do have skilled
volunteers. We could now speculate that Ge may have been hesitant about
accepting a more open patching system for exactly this reason.

I'd like a comment on this by Ge, still.

Kas.