Re: [livecode] [OT] on 'pointlessness'.

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 01:20:02 +0200

Graham;

Cue research grant proposal to measure the degree to which researching
> whether your research influences economy, public policy or society
> accurately reflects the value of its influence on economy, public policy or
> society, or the degree to which it is pointless...

I would like to know what the largest long-term effect on society that the
outcome of a research project deemed pointless under these rules could have
is. I propose this research be started with a analysis of existing
literature on the effects of research deemed irrelevant at the time.

I also propose research into the effects on the mindset of researchers of
these proposed rules. I wonder whether the proposed rules would deem that a
relevant area for research, worthy of a grant, but then I often get the
impression that lawmakers aren't the type who will deem paradoxes cause to
backtrack for a bit.

Best of luck to our UK-based Researchers of Odd Things.
Kas.