Re: [livecode] ixi lang

From: Sylvain <artheist_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:45:00 +0200

Hi,

To answer both to you and Alex further : then you should look at Kyma
or Iannix.
http://www.symbolicsound.com/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iannix/

And these systems are quite old right now. So, I don't think there are
any mode about that. They even were there before any Max, SC ...
Unfortunately, I don't have the $$ to try Kyma and just tried Iannix a
few years ago, which is quite interesting about symbolic and spatial
coding. Of course not live, as far as I know.

Btw, I would like to thank you all about this ever longing thread that
generated a really interesting discussion from all contributors, coming
out from an announcement from thor ... interesting ...

Best

S.

tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk a écrit :
> [...]
>>> Max knows.
>>
>> In Pd, execution order is the order than you connect the wires in.
>> Using X position in Max certainly seems like an better way than that,
>> and I'm happy to take your point that it is important (I've never used
>> max). I don't think it's as important as left to right order in
>> non-graph languages though.
>>
>>> Interesting point, but now MaxMSP patches are in JSON notation, so
>>> they are
>>> essentially Javascript that can be livecoded and edited.
>>
>> So max is a live coding IDE for javascript now? Interesting.
>>
>>> They certainly aren't - textual symbols are processed
>>> by different parts of the brain.
>>
>> I'm not sure if the "different parts" thing is true, from what I can
>> tell from a naive glance at the literature, brain areas are
>> multi-talented things. I agree though that reading is different from
>> looking at a picture though so we're on the same page.
>>
>> However, you're wrong to imply that we don't read a max patch. It's
>> full of symbols! In max a box is meaningless unless you type into it.
>>
>> Look at all the words and numbers in this simple patch:
>> http://taknight.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/firstnotes1.jpg
>>
>>> It's a very different experience
>>> connecting lines and occasionally typing in object names than typing
>>> everything in words and symbols.
>>
>> Sure but it's a different experience writing code in eclipse than it
>> is in emacs, and different again in vi. They all require visual
>> faculties, and some (not PD, and only in a limited way Max) require
>> spatial arrangement.
>>
>>> That's not the case for most people, especially
>>> non-designers. There
>>> have been studies that show that their brains recognize words as
>>> meaning
>>> something, but not as graphics or symbols in their own right (I hope
>>> I am
>>> explaining this well... wish I could dig up that paper).
>>
>> No need, I agree. Similarly hearing sounds is perceived differently
>> to hearing words (cf sine wave speech and noise speech). But I think
>> it gets more complicated than that when we're coding. When we zoom
>> out and think about the structure of what we're looking at, we think
>> in more spatial terms, and structure of the code on the screen helps
>> with that. This is true both with max and with java. With max the
>> spatial arrangement is not part of the language. With java, more of
>> it is part of the language, with organisation into classes, objects
>> etc.
>>
>>> For most people,
>>> words are words and pictures are pictures, and while they get the
>>> hang of
>>> the "text-as-symbols" eventually, they need to adapt to them over time.
>>
>> Sure, but I think we diverge where you say a max patch is a picture.
>> The interface might let you make a picture but that is nothing to do
>> with the language.

>>> think this is why photographers and graphic designers take to
>>> well (in my experience) - they already have the mental toolkit for