Re: [livecode] ixi lang

From: <tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 18:37:03 +0100

>> A graphical layout is great for expressing relations and
> structures and less so for expressing calculation order, which can be
> very important in sequencing.

good point, The cables were usually where the sound flowed along, so you
could determine chains of events on a single path, but not in any
sensible sequencing of events over time. The cabling out of my desk was
almost always 'post processing' in some ways..

I think this is well reflected in pd, where sequencing is one of the
things that seems less natural for it and takes much longer setup than
processing dps streams does.

on a side note has anyone used vvvv much?
its use of 'slices' is kind of interesting, it allows you to generate
and process multiple instances of almost any sort of message in and our
of any object. Its like a inbuilt iteration or something. Im guessing
its one of the ways a 'graph' programming system can overcome the
spagetti of multiple modification in recursion etc or the issue of
generating new objects on the fly (which text languages excel at, but
graphical ones seem less keen)

Tom Betts
www.nullpointer.co.uk
www.odessadesign.co.uk