Re: [livecode] Livecoding in Paris

From: Sylvain <artheist_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:24:10 +0200

Hi Alex,

alex a écrit :
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> 2009/9/1 Sylvain <artheist_at_gmail.com>:
>
>> What I guess, is that your project is to have fun and make music with others
>> (to drink beer to) as I do. And that you didn't know about toplap when you
>> set it up. Anders so, das ist schlimm !
>>

> It's nice if TOPLAP can be a place for all people to talk about live
> coding/patching and feel they belong, but I understand people were
> doing from-scratch performance in pd and likely max, before TOPLAP was
> formed. In any case, coding in max and pd with live interpretation
> was normal before chuck/sc3/impromptu/fluxus was written.

Ok, didn't thought so. Mea culpa.
>> Now, I don't see any relevant ground for making it bounded to Pd/Max, unless
>> narrow-minding, or ignorance (don't take it personally, I am a bit
>> provocative, on purpose)
>>

> I agree there is no line to draw between pd/max and other programming
> languages. The only real difference is that pd and max require use of
> the mouse. On its own that doesn't make them more visual or artistic.
> They are pure side effect languages, and have IDEs which (try to)
> enforce syntactical correctness, but that's true of other programming
> languages/IDEs too. I don't think it's unhealthy to have events
> around particular languages though.
I agree, in particular when it's dealing about language per se. It's
just that I felt a bit uncomfortable about the fact that it is about
livecoding, and I really wanted to join in, but what if I came in and
said "well, guys I'd like to jam with you, but I am not using Pd". Just
felt a little rejected.
Apart from the fact that from my own experience, Max/Pd is overtaking
everything else in France, for historical reasons.
> Max and PD are dialects of the
> same language, letting in supercollider might be a bit like having an
> event about French literature and not letting in any talks in English,
> which seems fair enough.

My last provocative statements were only to make people react ;)
I still sincerely find it's a nice initiative, and I would like to join.
Just wanted to push walls little further.

S.