Re: [livecode] live coding on an iPhone

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:25:24 +0200

> Hi Kassen,

Hey, Nick!

> Engineered as in brought about. I make no claims to have live coded the app
> itself, just to have set up a live coding situation with a small but
> hopefully interesting instruction set.

Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't certain whether the word "engineered"
could be used like that.

> And you're right, it is aimed as a puzzle initially, so I'm not going to
> reveal the meaning of the instructions at first. I'm planning to release the
> source eventually once the app is available, since it will be useful for
> teaching purposes in future years.

Very interesting. I'll have to persuade a friend to install it for me to
play with. As luck would have it I was theorising just a few days ago about
languages with a extremely small vocabulary and the question of whether they
would be easy to learn.

It was also good to see no save/load was implemented. Save/load
functionality leads to less experimentation, less practice and less engaged
audiences (who may be able to hear the same song again later). Maybe I'd go
as far as saying saving and loading are a bigger issue with traditional
laptop performances than a lack of shown screens but that's a bit of a
dangerous claim as I'm not sure how we could prove or disprove it.

Yours,
Kas.