Re: [livecode] google summer of code

From: Jamie Forth <jamie71forth_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 00:03:40 +0000

Kassen,

On 5 Mar 2009, at 14:40, Kassen wrote:

> I glanced at the docs I'll have a more in-depth look later. One
> thing that strikes me right now is that there is a concept of
> "beats per bar" but no way to sync to the last or next start of a
> bar. We can sync to the last metre change but there seems to be no
> guarantee this coincided with the start of a bar. Is that correct?
> Is that the intended behaviour?

The beat at which the number of beats per bar is changed always
becomes the down beat (if it wasn't already). So knowing this, and
also knowing how many beats are in the bar, means you can always work
out where the bar line is.

Messages for previous or next bar could easily be added, but this is
more a matter of client functionality. Under the hood, a client
should probably always sync to some concrete time-point in the past,
even if, as a user, the behaviour you want is to drop the beat at the
next bar line. Plus, doing this means that if the bpb or tempo
changes in the mean time, your code will still kick in at the
intended musical moment.

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread... GSoC is a great idea but
sorry I can't really help out much on the admin front at the moment.

Jamie

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi_at_gr_at_! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html