Re: [livecode] google summer of code

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:33:50 +0100

Alex;

> Yes that's it, with some other software (ntpd or ptpd) doing the (more
> difficult) job of keeping system clocks in sync.
>
> The clients can also change the tempo etc, triggering new time
> descriptions to go to all the other clients.

I really like how this looks. With clients all having their own clock
instead of depending on periodic pulses (as in a analogue sequencer) it'll
be easier to abstract it in ways that make sense within the individual
systems. PD and CK deal with clocks and timing in quite different ways and
so a "net clock" should look quite different to both. With a internal clock
per client it would -for example- be easier for ChucK to poll the clock for
the current duration of a quarter note as that info should explicitly be
there, as opposed to implicitly as in -say- MIDI.

I assume this format could be extended to feature things like notes and
bars, maybe even "sections"? And that we could then change time-signature
based on one of the clients defining a new one?

That would be quite nice and would likely lead to more interesting
algorithms; I know I'd be programming rhythms in different ways then I'd
normally do if I knew ahead of time you or Artem could be changing the
time-signature at any moment.

Yours,
Kas.