[livecode] netclock

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:18:58 +0000

Hey all,

Jamie Forth made a very nice network clock server (and client) in
SuperCollider, and I've written some proof-of-concept client libraries
for Haskell and Perl.

It uses timestamped OSC bundles for communication of bpm changes etc,
and relies upon ntp (or ptpd) to keep local clocks in sync...

We did this for our own jams/performances but it would be amazing if
this could turn into some kind of standard implemented on all
livecoding software... It's always frustrating to not be able to time
sync and be forced to do stuff like taking turns making beats.

One problem is that it's not implementable on liblo
(http://liblo.sourceforge.net/) because it hijacks bundle timestamps for
its own queuing. Hopefully that will change soon, there's discussion on
the liblo mailing list about that. Liblo is GPL anyway, so not usable
on the closed source systems. Maybe some c++ savy person fancies
implementing something with Ross's oscpack?

Anyway there's a mailing list and repository here:

    http://netclock.slab.org/

If you're interested, join the list!

Cheers,

alex