Re: [livecode] [OT] cellular automata

From: AlgoMantra <algomantra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 03:58:40 +0530

> My first suggestion was to make every cell hold two values. First of all it
> clearly needs to hold a value for the state it's in now, say a 1 or a 0 to
> indicate white or black. I'm suggesting you also make it hold a *second*
> value (also a 1 or 0) that indicates the state it's going to have in the
> next generation once we finish calculating that generation (so once we have
> gone over all the cells).
>

> So; we'd start at cell1, which is -say- white right now. We calculate that
> it will be black in the next round so we store that in the second value,
> leaving it's current state be for now. We then move on to cell2 and base the
> calculations for cell2 on cell1 still being white as that's what it's state
> still says right now; never touched that so far. We store the outcome of
> this in cell2's second value, leaving cell2's current state intact as well.
>
> Once we have done this for all cells we have a series of cells that still
> holds the same state it had when we started but every cell now also holds
> -in it's second value- the state it should have in the new generation. At
> this point we can swap the meaning of the two values. We simply define that
> now the "second value" defines their "state" and at that moment we instantly
> have a updated CA that correctly holds it's new pattern without calculation
> order having mattered.
>
> I hope it's more clear now?

No matter how many state variables you conjure up, you're going to have to
look up the nearest neighbour's state variable to calculate the next value.
In your system, I'm not sure if they are automatons at all. The cells seem
to behave completely independent of their environment, almost autonomously.
Comprenez?

http://www.algomantra.com