Re: [livecode] [OT] cellular automata

From: AlgoMantra <algomantra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:35:48 +0530

> I'd make a array of "cell" objects that hold both their state (say as a
> integer) and a variable containing their next state where it has been
> computed. I'd loop over the array, for each cell calculating the "next
> state" based on it's neighbour's "state". Then I'd loop over it again and
> copy all "next state's" to the "states" and out comes a updated cellular
> automaton.

The trouble is the "looping over the array", and especially on which cell
should it start. To add to the confusion, it's a ringed array. In my vision
of things, all cells start simultaneously. There are no loops except within
the cells own structure.

> If you'd like to get clever you could call the two variables "state A" and
> "state B" and instead of the second loop simply swap which one of the two
> refers to the current state and which one is the temporary holder for
> already calculated results, that would save some CPU.

I'm totally confused by that, can you explain more simply?

> There may be better methods but at least this will work; if you do run into
> issues you could always go peek into the source of open implementations
> later.

That's not the issue actually. I've already done much of the homework.
Google for a paper called "computational monadology". It's Leibniz's
Monadologie re-written as cellular automata theory. I may have mailed you
that before....no?

--