Re: [livecode] more vocable synthesis

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:00:39 +0200

2008/7/11 Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>:

> This is more the domain of cultural Anthropology, I would say. Why the
> French prefer French?
> I do agree that the different representation schemes are interesting.

Maybe, but nobody grew up hearing lots of SuperCollider or ChucK, yet some
of us prefer one over the other, even in cases where both would make just as
much sense.

I suspect this could be related to internal representations, at least in
part though that's just a lay-man's guess.

Yes! I wondered whether you implied any idea of an innate capacity that
> differs.

Well, I do imagine that such factors might influence the way some people
structure their thought and code. This could mean some might feel more at
home with certain tasks or syntaxes. That is not to say I was speculating
any one approach would be "better", both music and code are too diverse for
that.

We might speculate that a livecoding performance by somebody who thinks in
a ways similar to what we use might be easier to follow while a performance
by somebody with a radically different "inlook" (as opposed to "outlook" but
applied to internal visualisations) could be more exciting?

> Gender appers to be easy to categorise and you are right if you say that
> this is a reason that often it is used as a basis for feasable research. I
> guess it is political because one may wonder what kind of scientific result
> this is supposed to be. I think self-observation is so much more valuable
> than this type of emptiricism.

Yes, I agree.

Gotta be off, need to make some radio :¬)

Kas.