Re: [livecode] more vocable synthesis

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 18:06:23 +0200

2008/7/9 alex <alex_at_lurk.org>:

> Thanks for the feedback Kassen... I should point out that I present it
> here as an instrument useful for livecoders rather than an example of
> live coding itself.
>
> I think live coding is about building a sequence of abstract
> imperatives/functions structured by ifs, fors, recursion etc. Here I'm
> just playing with a straightforward sequence of sounds.
>
> In the video I do jump out to tweak some values in the Perl but that's
> hardly live coding either.

Yes, I saw it as "text editing as a interface for sequencing" but I'd be
hard-pressed to say where that stops and livecoding begins. I have no real
answers to that question.

> What I have been doing in other trials is live coding regexes over the
> string of vocables. For example, changing all 'c's temporarily to 'm's.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. If you are sequencing by editing text
traditional text operations like search&replace become musical transitions.
I've just implemented something along those lines on my joystick sequencer
as well. I'm not sure what it's good for in the more extreme cases (like
turning all bass-line "E" notes into reversed highhats) but it sounded like
a nice idea to experiment with so I did it anyway and I'll see where it
takes me.

> I've also added regexes to add some non-determinism, for example a
> question mark after a letter makes it only have influence half the time
> on average, and a colon between two letters makes it choose between
> them. These are quite quick to type:

I see.

You may be interested in this;
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21431
That's a sequencer in ChucK heavily inspired by txt editor commands for data
entry by Antimon. Sadly it takes a rather high amount of CPU. I've been
meaning to try to figure out why and either do some optimisation on it or
borrow some of it's concepts for fun when I don't feel like carying a huge
arcade stick. I don't think I linked to that yet but I might be mistaken.

One other note; I found that if you make advanced ways of getting data into
a sequencer in realtime it helps a lot if you also implement advanced ways
of getting data out of it again or the system will start to become inclined
towards endless buildups. I pointed that out in the linked topic as well but
it's a issue I found to be quite important.

Nice job regardless of what we call this style of performance.

Kas.