Re: [livecode] audio source in linux

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 16:21:23 +0200

>I can see the concept of minimising the middle-man in software but
>on the level of what you will actually write not much need to be
>different. CK an SC (PD is obviously a bit different being
>graphical) are perfectly fine with with sending the outcome of a
>equation straight to the output. You lose the nice ready-made Ugens
>and their optimisation but you can. I imagine that at that point
>shell-scripting and ChucK would start to look a lot alike as math is
>math.
>

>Hm, makes sense. I'm more interested at this point in understanding
>the mathematics of sound, rather than creating any musical variety
>of it...

There are many branches of mathematics. Sound synthesis languages are
a mathematics of sound, which have to take into account that the
being of sound is more than its waveform. Just as any mathematics, it
is not trivial to describe something formally. 'Low level' system
commands may well turn out to be less mathematical than 'high level'
programming languages. Despite this, it is a nice project! If you
want to be close to discourses such as those of mathematical logic
though, Haskell may be a good alternative.
--
.