Re: [livecode] audio source in linux

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 14:00:04 +0200

2008/5/3 AlgoMantra <algomantra_at_gmail.com>:

> Hm, makes sense. I'm more interested at this point in understanding the
> mathematics of sound, rather than creating any musical variety of it...

Yes, I suspected so. That's a practical thing to know about too and entirely
realistic, there are books on this, people to ask, tests to run... But if I
were you I'd do it in ChucK and not shell-scripting.... but who am I?

> I guess the issue I am addressing is the "combinatorial efficiency" of any
> alphabet, at the point where it is being encoded with meaning and becoming a
> language. That aside,...at some point in the nearing present, a lot of live
> music is going to be made with the help of small microcontrollers instead of
> laptops, in fact, it already is.

Sure, I have a few right here, I call them "digital synths". Right now the
trend seems to be away from hardware synths and towards laptops but yes.

I think we have some quite nice languages/alphabets for this. A few days ago
I had to explain how sines can be summed to approach a square wave and found
that after a intro in crude drawings and Dutch it worked better to explain
this directly in ChucK and add 15 or so harmonics in as many seconds.

>> I dunno.... me, I just want world-peace, 6 or so more hours to the day, a
>> bit of love every once in a while.... and another cup of coffee. Some of
>> that might be a bit much to ask so I started with the most attainsable one.
>>

> Sigh. I know its coffee.

:¬)

I am sure what I'm asking for is too much, it isn't a joke. I was able to
> learn whatever little
> computing (language(s)) I do because I am fairly well educated in English,
> which has played middleman to this part of the world for 300 years. I just
> want to be able to encounter a medium as universal as the drum (bang that
> thing!) within computer music.

Yes, I see... But I'd point out that while the drum is universal, making it
speak in a elloquent way requires a lot of practice. I'd reccomend that you
try to get a lot of practice coding.

> That's precisely my fear. I don't trust things I don't fully comprehend.
> Because that makes me defendant on someone who I don't know. Speaking of
> drivers, I have no sound in my XP because Conexant don't love me, and no
> wifi in my Ubuntu because Broadcomm wants my blood. By the time I figure out
> how to write my own, I am dead certain that music would have left my life
> for good.

No? hmmmm, trust can take many forms. I trust my friends even if I don't
fully comprehend them, based on years of experience with them. I trust
public transports, even if I don't fully comprehend them and they could
theoretically go off in random directions instead of the one labeled on
them. I suppose this is a matter of how much I comprehend them, the risk and
my desire to go places.

I feel more or less the same about soundcards and their drivers.

> No, it's not even a concept yet. It's alright, if I could explain it
> completely, I would have made it already :)

Yes, I see. I fear all I can do at that point is wich you the best of luck,
bro.
:¬)

Yours,
kas.