Re: [livecode] audio source in linux

From: AlgoMantra <algomantra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 15:49:30 +0530

># cat /dev/hda > /dev/dsp

I don't have an hda file in my /dev. But I tried looking into /dev/dsp
using cat and I got a seemingly unending series of
"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~" (tildez)

> Ah! But then one could -instead of a file's contents- also use the build-in
> math and scripting functions for synthesis....Not at all practical but I'd
> love to see it done.

I had a few basic tenets behind this:

1. Minimise the middlemen software between oneself and the "unix file" that
IS
the sound. If you were to be able to write simply numbers to this file, the
math
can actually become more fun because it would be a journey of mathematical
expression, rather than learning standard or traditional synthesis/analysis
concepts
passed on by others into a language like ChucK or PD (which are great too,
but..).

2. I hate dictionaries, and all (correct me) computing languages require the
repeated reference to, or rote memorization of, some dictionary or the
other. The ChucK manual for
instance, or Python manual, or PD manual. They are simply dictionaries of
functions
or classes which point to some abstract manipulation of numbers or the
other.

3. Just introduce me to the sound card, and let us develop our own
rapport/language
in which we shall converse.

4. I don't want to master Linux just to understand how sound is produced
from it. Perhaps
thats too much to ask?

http://www.algomantra.com