Re: [livecode] audio source in linux

From: Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 16:35:04 +1000

Hi There

Well yes the underlying thing is to pass sequences of numbers to the operating system thence they get passed to the sound card driver and finally accross the system bus to the sound card/sound chipset which converts the numbers into voltages. Programs which make sound generate this stream of samples themselves using various algorithms and pass them to the OS.

Operating systems provide various interfaces (API) to pass buffers of samples between the userspace program and the soundcard driver -- on Linux this is usually ALSA or OSS. JACK sits on top of these. It's more or less the same situation on other platforms. For cross platform work there are libraries which wrap multiple APIs with the same programming interface such as rtAudio or PortAudio (www.portaudio.com)...

HTH

Ross.